Skip to main content

It’s been 5 days since Shirley arrived and it’s been a lot of fun with her around.

We have been staying in Phaya Thai a tourist district of Bangkok and as it’s quite a long way from public transport links, we have been travelling by taxi to the closest BTS station. (The BTS is an overland train, very similar to the London Underground, and there is also an underground metro). So every morning we leave the hotel and all the taxi/tuk tuk drivers are waiting for the tourists along the street.  I liken it to running a gauntlet and it’s quite fun seeing what results your bartering skills achieve! One morning when we first arrived we had a particularly grumpy tuk tuk driver telling us off for even thinking of asking for such a low price! I was shocked because I have been told never to get angry with Thai’s as that is a big no no! Clearly this tuk tuk driver had spent too long with the tourists!!

On Monday we visited NightLight, a ministry reaching out to women working in the sex trade here in Bangkok. We saw the many different areas that the women work in – jewellery making, sewing and silk screening, the coffee shop & bakery, child care centre and outreach. On Tuesday we went to the chapel held every morning for the workers and today we were involved in the beauty salon outreach.  I was very amused when me & Shirley were asked to do make up and hair for the ladies – ha ha me!! Now that is funny!! But Shirley managed to dye a ladies hair and I managed to wash the hair of a lady boy. But it was a great opportunity to talk to the staff and quiz them about working at NightLight.

Tomorrow we leave for Pattaya, where we will visit Shear Love again. The novelty of packing and moving has definitely worn off, I just want to sleep in my own bed again…..!  Still only 6 more days before I leave Thailand and torment you all on my return!! I will have to dig out my warm clothes as well, I’ve forgotten what it feels like to be cold ????

“... in July 18 I left my full-time job and moved to the BTBAB base to train for 6-12 months before being sent out to the first nation that I feel called to. ”

Esther PriceMCI Field Worker
Read more of my story